Recipe: Sugar Cookies & Royal Icing
RECIPE: SUGAR COOKIES WITH ROYAL ICING
If you’re looking for a simple, beautiful and delicious way to stand out or impress your family and friends for a special occasion or even just an afternoon tea, it couldn’t be easier than these iced sugar biscuits - really! We’ve also received a gorgeous range of cookie cutters from Birkmann which is sure to inspire even the least creative baker.
ROYAL ICING INGREDIENTS:
• 4 egg whites
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1 kilogram powdered sugar
• 2 - 3 Tablespoons warm water
SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH INGREDIENTS:
• 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 1 inch pieces
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 5 cups all-purpose flour
MAKE THE SUGAR COOKIES:
1. Place butter and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs one at a time. Continue mixing and add the salt and vanilla.
2. Add the flour in one batch. Cover the bowl with a towel before you mix to prevent flour from going everywhere. Mix until just combined.
3. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 – 3/8 inch. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Optional: Chill for 10 minutes to 1 hour, to help cookies keep their shape when baking.
4. Bake on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet at 170 degrees celcius for 10-12 minutes, until edges are golden brown and centre no longer looks wet.
MAKE THE ROYAL ICING:
1. Whisk the egg whites for 30 seconds.
2. Add cream of tartar and hand whisk for 30 seconds.
3. Add all of the icing sugar and mix with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer on low for 10 minutes. Icing will turn glossy. Add water if the consistency is too thick.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Use clear vanilla if you are not adding food colour.
5. Tint with liquid or gel food colour.
Now for the fun part!
DECORATING YOUR COOKIES: