Crushed Pavlova for Passover
• 5 egg whites
• 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cup castor sugar (normal sugar will also be fine but will change the texture slightly)
• 1 cup (250ml) cream or orly whip (can do 2 cups if you want a creamier finish)
• about 350-500g mixed berries or fruit of your choice - gooseberries, blackberries,
blueberries, raspberries, strawberries (topped and cut into small chunks), granadilla etc
1. Preheat the oven to 110degC.
2. Place the eggs whites in a large bowl and whisk using an electric mixer.
3. When the egg whites become foamy, add the vinegar and vanilla until continue to
whisk on medium speed until soft peaks.
4. Then slowly (1 Tablespoon at the time) add the castor sugar, whisking on medium
speed until all the sugar has been whisked in.
• The mixture should resemble stiff peaks that are glossy and thick.
5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof/baking paper.
6. Spoon the mixture as 1 large Tablespoon dollop onto the baking tray, leaving space
between the dollops as they will puff up during baking.
7. Bake for 2 hours.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
• Tip: for dryer meringues - allow to cool overnight in the “off” oven without
removing from the oven.
• Can make in advance and place in a tupperware until ready to use or in the
freezer if making long in advance.
1. Whip the cream/orly whip in a bowl till stiff - easiest to use an electric whisk
2. To serve: Start by placing dollops of cream/orly whip on a board
3. Crush/break meringues into large chunks with your hands (imperfection is the aim).
4. Place the meringues randomly within and among the dollops of cream/orly whip.
5. Scatter selection of fresh berries among the meringue mess.
6. Continue until you have used enough of all the ingredients.
• Your platter should be a beautiful array of whipped cream/orly whip, meringue
pieces of differing sizes and fruit.